This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Dental problems

Dental problems and your doctor

If you have a regular NHS or private dentist and have an emergency or urgent dental problem, contact them in the first instance.  If you do not have a regular dentist, you can telephone NHS111 to be given details of local services.

The most appropriate person to see if you are concerned you have a dental problem is a dentist.  Your GP, except in very rare circumstances, will have no training in dentistry and should not be providing dental treatment.  A dental abscess will usually need pain relief and then assessment by a dentist within 24 hours.  They will then be able to decide on an appropriate course of action and prescribe antibiotics if they feel necessary.  NHS111 will be able to advise if you are having trouble accessing your dentist.

Please do not ask your GP to prescribe a medication recommended by your dentist, or to change a private prescription from a dentist to an NHS one.  Dentists are able to take prescribing responsibility for appropriate medications and can advise you if you can purchase something over the counter.  See here for more details.

Dental out of hours service

A dental out-of-hours service is available Monday to Thursday 6.30pm-9.30pm, Friday between 6.30pm-10.00pm,  and Saturday and Sundays 9.00am-1.00pm followed by 2.00pm-6.00pm. Bank Holidays and Bank Holiday weekends are 9.00am-5.00pm followed by 6.00pm-9.00pm.  The service is based in Oxford.

The service is for emergencies only and all calls are triaged by a dental nurse prior to any appointments being made. Please telephone 111 to access this service.

This service is available to all Oxfordshire residents (including temporary residents and UK/EU visitors)

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website